June 15, 2016
10 Facts About the Late OJB Jezreel That Every Music Lover Must Know
OJB Jezreel is considered a legendary music producer in Nigeria, having produced albums for some of Africa’s best known acts incluing 2baba Idibia.
Below are 10 interesting facts about him that you have to know:
1. He has three wives and eight kids and the eldest, a boy is a graduate of UNILAG.
2. According to him, Jazzman Olofin is his only friend.
3. In 2013, OJB Jezreel suffered from a severe kidney failure which caused him to seek support from friends, family and fans. Over N20m was raised from donations from fans, celebrities and government officials.
4. His first wife Mabel ‘Mama J’ Okungbowa was his kidney donor at the Colombia Asian Hospital in India where he had gone for a transplant.
5. He dropped his Civil Engineering certificate to chase music and that put a big strain on his relationship with his parents. They backed away from him, hoping that he would make him change his mind, but he said it made him go further.
6. He produced 2face’s first album Grass to Grace including the widely celebrated ‘African Queen‘.
7. The Delta State born entertainer was one of the founding fathers contemporary Nigerian music and pop culture.
8. Although he is originally from Delta, he grew up in a very rich family in Lagos.
9. He started out as a DJ because back then it was much easier to survive as a DJ, but says he always loved beats and sounds.
10. And to everyone he says, “you should always keep it simple and humble, not because you are stupid or slow, but because in the end that’s all that counts.”