Some Nigerian politicians are like the proverbial “cat with nine lives”. They scale all the political hurdles that comes their way, and remain relevant in the scheme of things in successive administrations.
While, some of them are referred to as ‘AGIP’ which means “Any Government In Power”, others are simply called “Professional Politicians”.
A Nairaland user, Omoeife, has drawn up a list comprising 10 politicians that have dominated the political space since the return of democracy in 1999. All but one of the politicians listed belong to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), while the only opposition politician (All Progressives Congress, APC) on the list used to be a member of the PDP before his defection to the APC late last year.
See the list below (Editor’s note: Omoeife’s list focuses on politicians from the legislative arm of government):
1. Senate President Senator, David Mark – PDP, Benue State (Benue South Senatorial District) 1999 to date going for the 5th term
2. Senator Ita Enang (PDP, Akwa Ibom State) -Member Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly 1992, Member House of Representatives 1999-2011, Senator 2011-2015
3. Governor Gabriel Suswan (PDP Benue State) – Member ,House of Representatives 1999-2007, Governor 2007-2015(16years), now PDP candidate Benue North West Senatorial District 2015 election.
4. Honourable Farouk Lawan (PDP, Kano State) -Member, House of Representatives 1999 to 2015, now PDP candidate, House of Representatives 2015 election.
5. Honourable Bashir Adamu (PDP Jigawa State) – Member House of Representatives 1999 -2015, now PDP candidate House of Representatives 2015 .
6. Honourable Leo Ogor (PDP Delta State) 2003 -2015, now PDP candidate Isoko Federal Constituency 2015 election
7. Honourable Nicolas Mutu (PDP Delta State) – Member House of Representatives 1999-2015, now PDP candidate 2015 election.
8. Honourable John Enoh (PDP Cross River State) – Member Cross River State House of Assembly 1999 -2003, House of Representatives member 2003 -2015, Chairman Appropriations committee, now PDP candidate Cross River Central Senatorial District 2015 election.
9. Honourable Emeka Ihedioha (PDP Imo State)- Member House of Representatives 2003 -2015(2007 -2015, Deputy Speaker),Now PDP Governorship candidate Imo State 2015 elections.
10. Honourable Aminu Waziri Tambuwal (APC Sokoto State) – Member House of Representatives 2003 to 2015 (Speaker 2007-2015), now APC Governorship candidate Sokoto State 2015 election.
Meanwhile, it is important to point out that the legislative arm of government allows for unlimited number of terms for legislatures.