10 Things You Didn’t Know About President Jonathan and the Fight Against Corruption
President Jonathan has made fighting corruption a key priority for his administration, helping to move Nigeria forward. Check out these 10 things you didn’t know about his fight against corruption:
1. He has chosen to fight corruption with good strategies and diligence, not brute force.
2. He will not abuse his powers in order to appear tough on corruption. He believes that following due process while fighting corruption strengthens our institutions
3. He granted the EFCC independence from the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, so it can pursue corruption in the public sector without interference.
4. With smart policies, he has decimated almost 4 decades of fertilizer subsidy fraud, saving N50bn in a single year.
5. He revived the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) to eliminate a major avenue of corruption in the public sector. This has resulted in the elimination of 50,000 ghost workers and N139bn in savings
6. Project Aquila, implemented under President Jonathan, has helped reduced up to 20 million liters a day in PMS subsidy fraud by using technology to track the movement of petroleum products around Nigeria
7. He approved the compulsory retirement of a judge that dismissed a grievous corruption case against a Bank CEO before taking the defendant’s plea
8. He approved the sack of a judge that upheld the results of a fraudulent election in Osun State even though the Judge’s decision had benefitted his own party, PDP.
9. He approved the suspension of a judge that had sentenced a man, convicted of stealing pension funds, to a paltry fine instead of prison.
10. He doesn’t like to make a big show of it, because there is a lot more work to be done, but he is winning the war on corruption.