Here Are 10 Things You Should Know About Nigeria’s Newest Guinness World Record Holder, DJ Obi
1. DJ Obi, real name Obi Ajuonuma, is the son of the late Dr. Levi Chibuike Ajuonuma, a renowned media professional who died on board the ill-fated Dana air craft that crashed in 2012. Ajuonuma hosted the popular Saturday night programme, ‘Open House Party’ on Ray Power FM for years and generated quite a following with it.
2. Obi’s dad was also the host and executive producer of the ‘The Sunday Show’, ‘Levi Ajuonoma live’ and ‘Showtime’ on the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and other top stations. He was also a former Group General Manager, Public Affairs Division of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC.
3. DJ Obi has been honing his craft for eight good years. During this time, he clinched the Nigerian Entertainment Award (NEA) for “World Best DJ” in 2011.
4. The talented disc jokey has worked with international acts like Lupe Fiasco as well as local A-listers like Naeto C, Banky W, Lynxxx, 2Face and more.
5. According to him, Sean ‘P. Diddy’ Combs is a big inspiration to him and a man he looks up to. He has also had the privilege of meeting Diddy in person on a number of occasions.
6. The former world record holder for the longest marathon club DJ-ing in the world is Polish DJ, Norbert Selmaj also known as Norberto Loco. He played for 200 hours at the Underground temple bar in Dublin, Ireland from 19 to 27 November 2014. Obi has since shattered this record.
7. Even though Obi has broken a critically acclaimed world record, he will not receive any financial compensation for his effort but will have his name listed in the 2016 Guinness Book of World Records document.