Kokomaster, D’banj is a year older today! And in celebration of his musical feats, performances and personality, we bring to you 10 things you probably didn’t know about him.
1. D’banj was born in Zaria, Kaduna to a military officer who commanded an artillery regiment.
2. He was enrolled to the Nigerian Military School at the age of Eleven.
3. His brother, Femi Oyebanjo died in a plane crash at the age of Seventeen.
4. He once worked as a security guard to make ends meet at a studio in the UK.
5. His meeting with Don Jazzy in 2001 derailed his studies as a mechanical engineer which started his journey to stardom.
6. His first endorsement deal was with an energy drink called Power Fist.
7. His debut album ‘No Long Thing’ was first released in 2005.
8. He is Nigeria’s first United Nations Youth Ambassador for Peace.
9. D’banj performed at the Hackney Weekend on June, 23, 2012 to celebrate the 2012 Summer Olympics headlined by Jay Z and Rihanna.
10. Banga Lee is said to be good friends with American sensation, Rita Ora