March 1, 2016
18 Things That Are Too Real For Nigerians That Study Abroad
1. When your parents overhear you about to tell someone your travel plans.
You want them to kill you.
2. When you get to the airport and they are about to weigh your bag with the yams in it.
Please pity me its just 10 kg overweight.
3. When you have to repeatedly answer “So why did you come all the way over here?”
Duh you guys have good internet.
4. “All the way from Africa? Wow that must have been a long ride.”
5. “So do you speak African?”
“So do you speak World?”
6. “Do you guys have fancy restaurants over there?”
What is wrong with this one?
7. When you get charged a ridiculous amount for each withdrawal.
*cries in about to be broke*
8. When nobody spells your name right.
But you can spell Arnold Schwarzenegger.
9. When you’re feeling sleepy in class but you remember the exchange rate.
Sleep isn’t that important.
10. “So when and where did you learn how to speak good English?”
It’s like you are mad.
11. When you go grocery shopping and you can’t see any Nigerian food item.
“I’m going to starve”.
12. “Wow I have heard a lot about Africa, are there really lions roaming the streets?”
13. When it is school fees season on the phone with your parents like:
14. When you find an additional charge in tuition you didn’t plan for.
See the devil.
15. “Oh you are from Nigeria? My cousins classmates sister went to Zimbabwe…”
16. When there’s a power failure and everyone is freaking out.
See these ones.
17. About to apply for a scholarship and you see “is not available to non-citizens”
I’m not hurt.
18. When you finally get a scholarship.