20 Facts About Ikeja That Will Surely Impress You
Ikeja is popularly known as the capital of Lagos. But there are other facts that you surely don’t know about.
Below are some facts about Ikeja
1. Ikeja is the capital of Lagos State and one of Nigeria’s 774 Local Government Areas of Nigeria,
2. Ikeja is the official seat of the Governor of Lagos is Ikeja where the State Secretariat is also located.
3. IKEJA is an abbreviation meaning Ikorodu and Epe Joint Administration. It was coined by colonial administrators for ease of administration.
4It is also said to be from Ikehdia a Benin word meaning Watch Station military
5.Before military rule in the early in the 1970s and 1980s, Ikeja was a well-planned, clean and quiet residential environment with shopping malls, pharmacies and government reservation areas
6.The acclaimed winner of the June 12 presidential election, the late Chief MKO Abiola lived on Opebi Road Ikeja
7. Allen Avenue in Ikeja used to be the most expensive street in Lagos
8. The 5-Star Sheraton Hotel is located in Ikeja
9. Ikeja is also home of the the legendary Fela Amikulapo Kuti and his lineage Femi Kuti’s Africa Shrine and
10. Lagbaja’s Motherlan’,a live music venues is also in Ikeja
11. Ikeja is home to the large shopping mall “Ikeja City Mall” which is the biggest mall in the Lagos mainland and also has a cinema
12. The Local Government administrative headquarters of Ikeja is located within the Ikeja Local Government premises
13. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeri has its headquarters in Ikeja on the grounds of Murtala Muhammad Airport.
14. The Accident Investigation Bureau of the Nigerian government is headquartered in Ikeja.
15. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has its Lagos office in Aviation House on the grounds of the airport.
16. Several airlines have their head offices in Ikeja. Arik Air’s head office is in the Arik Air Aviation Center on the grounds of Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Ikeja.Air Nigeria’s (formerly Nigerian Eagle and Virgin Nigeria Airways) head office is located on the 9th Floor of Etiebets Place in Ikeja. Aero Contractors has its head office on the grounds of Murtala Muhammed International Airport.Overland Airways has its head office in Ikeja.Other airlines with head offices in Ikeja include Associated Aviation and Dana Air.
17. At one time Nigeria Airways had its head office in Airways House in Ikeja. Prior to its disestablishment Afrijet Airlines had its head office in the NAHCO Building on the grounds of the airport.Bellview Airlines had its headquarters in the Bellview Plaza in Ikeja. Other disestablished airlines with head offices in Ikeja include Sosoliso Airlines,and ADC Airlines.
18. Communities in the area include:Oregun Ojodu Opebi Akiode Alausa Agidingbi Ikeja Ogba Maryland Government Residence Area, Ikeja.
19.Ikeja is the home to a large computer market, popularly known as Computer Village.
20. The Kalakuta Republic Museum is also located