The airlift of 2016 intending hajj pilgrims from Nigeria to Saudi Arabia will start at the Sokoto Airport on Monday 8 August 2016, with Zamfara State pilgrims, being the first set to be airlifted.
The Media Assistant to the Sokoto State Pilgrims Welfare Agency, Faruku Umar, who confirmed this to Punch correspondent in Sokoto on Wednesday, stated that intending pilgrims from Kebbi and Sokoto states would follow suit in that order.
He said that the hajj maximum fare for the Sokoto intending pilgrims had been fixed at N1, 080,400.00 for each male and N1, 083,400:00 for female pilgrims.
Each pilgrim, he said, would be allowed to have $1,000 as Basic Travelling Allowance.
Umar added that the minimum fare stood at N1,031,100.00 and N1,034,100.00 for each male and female intending pilgrim respectively.
They were entitled to $750 Basic Travelling Allowance.
Alhaji Mohammadu Goni, the Head of Aviation of NAHCON said that Three carriers were disqualified from transporting Nigerian pilgrims for the 2016 Hajj as a result of not beign cleared by the Saudi Arabian aviation authorities.
He made this known at the commission’s Headquarters in Abuja while answering questions from newsmen.
Goni listed the affected airlines as Dornier Aviation Nigeria AEP Limited, Top Brass and Azman Air Services.
The Federal Government had approved six airline operators to transport intending pilgrims for the exercise.
Goni, however, said the General Authority of Civil Aviation of Saudi Arabia cleared only three airlines out of the six nominated by the Federal Government.
He said the airlines approved by the Saudi authorities are: Med-View Airlines Limited, Max Air Limited and Fly-Nas Air (Saudi Arabian designated carrier).
Goni explained that only these three airlines were designated to fly the route between the two countries.