FIFA President, Gianni Infantino on Sunday arrived Nigeria on a two-day visit. Yesterday, he visited President Muhammadu Buhari at the Aso Rock Villa after which he performed some other functions.
Here are 5 of the things he said at his visit:
1. Infantino gave hope to football federations around the world by pledging to increase their yearly grants. He said that FIFA would from next football calendar increase the grant from about $300,000 to $1.5billion.
2. Infantino Showered praises on President Buhari and urge him to do more. “I saw the president of the country today who is want to help and support NFF and I think he will be ready to assist the federation.”
3. He said he was not aware of any crisis rocking the NFF. “I don’t think there is any crisis in football management in Nigeria. There is an elected president in place and he is functioning. In a big country like Nigeria, you are bound to see opposition; that’s what you see.”
4. He also discussed with the president how best to develop football in Africa. “Our interest is more in football development and during my campaign to become the president I promised to introduce some reforms.
5. He promised to increase Africa’s world cup slot. “Also you all know that before our election, the issue of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup editions had been settled but we will make sure that by 2026 we increase the number of participating countries to 40 and Africa is expected to get two more slots.”