We take a look at sexy singer Seyi Shay’s music career from another end and 5 reasons why she needs to release an album on or before December 31st 2015.
1. She is due: After several years in the music business, it is only fair to say Seyi Shay is due to release a full body of work. Her lateness can be made obvious when you pinpoint the fact that she is the only artiste from the 2013 Headies Next Rated category that is yet to release an album.
Seyi Shay was nominated alongside Burna Boy, Sean Tizzle, Dammy Krane & Phyno at the 2013 Headies, although she did not win, she is the only artiste among that 5 that is yet to release an album. Sean Tizzle, Burna Boy and Phyno have began work on their sophomore album. More than any else, Seyi Shay has an international record deal, what is she waiting for?
2. Yemi Alade’s success: Seyi Shay faces the prospect of repeating the success that came with Yemi Alade’s debut album, King of Queens. Yemi has since became the #2? female singer in the country at the very least since her album was released.
Some writers are echoing the fact that Tiwa Savage faces a race against time to retain her spot as the hottest songbird in the country as she looks set to return to work. Seyi Shay can be this same force if she puts out a solid body of work.
Lack of work ethic isn’t her problem, perhaps a team issue. Seyi has enough singles to make an album including Loving Your Way, No Lele, Irawo, Ragga Ragga, Chairman, Murda, Crazy, Jangilova, Because We Care & Right Now… 10 tracks right there.
3. Over-media exposure: The singer turns 30 in December and it’s been years full of media exposure. At this point in her career she has been over exposed without an album. Seyi Shayhas graced numerous covers, appeared and performed on top music platforms and still does not have an album in the market.
Over media exposure will put her in career limbo, so when the album finally arrives it will do little for her career growth so she has to put it out ASAP.
4. An album means she belongs to another echelon: In Nigeria’s music industry there are two types. Artistes with an album, and those without.
Short-sighted people will continue to see Seyi Shay as a level behind the class of Yemi Alade, Omawumi, Waje, Tiwa Savage because she doesn’t have a body of work when in fact, her discography can stand most if not all of them. An album will most definitely bridge this loophole for Seyi.
5. Close gap between her & Tiwa Savage: While Yemi Alade has successfully closed the oceans of gap between her and Omawumi in the music game, Seyi Shay remains stuck. Her biggest nemesis remains Tiwa Savage – who looks set to make a forceful comeback.
Yemi on one hand, doesn’t sing like Tiwa savage, neither does her sound relates to the 35 year old’s. Her music and brand echoes Omawumi more than any else. Seyi Shay’s brand however is hugely related to Tiwa Savage’s. Releasing an album before Don Jazzy makes miracles (like he always does) with Tiwa will do more good than arm for her career short and long term.