The incredible Aloe Vera needs no introduction. Its benefits are well-known, which is why it has earned a permanent place in many households. Be it a sunburn or a bad case of acne, aloe vera is a treatment you can always rely on.
The use of aloe vera is very wide and extensive in the beauty industry. The gel inside aloe vera leaves is loaded with several nutrients, minerals and vitamins that are good for the skin and hair. This herb is safe to use externally and internally. Here are some skin benefits of aloe vera.
1. Reduce acne: Aloe vera is a natural antibacterial agent that helps fight the bacteria responsible for acne. It also stimulates the growth of new cells. Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly on the affected areas a few times a day, fill an ice cube tray with aloe vera gel and freeze it. Rub a frozen cube on your acne to soothe the inflammation. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day or mix 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel with ½ teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on the acne-affected area. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Do this twice daily. Along with treating acne, this natural herb is used to effectively heal chronic skin problems, such as psoriasis and eczema.
2. Prevents premature aging skin: Aging signs like wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin are bound to appear with age, but at times these signs appear earlier. You can prevent premature aging signs by including aloe vera in your beauty regimen due to its high antioxidant content. To keep your skin young, it is important to exfoliate on a weekly basis. To make an exfoliating mask: Blend 1 teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel, mix 1 teaspoon of ground oatmeal and ½ teaspoon of olive oil in it. Apply this mixture on your face and neck area, allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Then, with wet hands, gently scrub off the paste. Finally, rinse your face and neck with cold water, use this mask once a week.
3. Minimizes stretch marks: Ugly stretch marks can steal away the beauty of your skin. Though it is difficult to get rid of stretch marks completely, you can minimize their visibility to a great extent with aloe vera. Aloe vera can help restore the skin’s elasticity and repair skin damage. Mix together equal amounts of aloe vera gel and rose water, apply it on the stretch marks and massage gently in circular motions for a couple of minutes. Keep it on for 15 to 20 minutes, rinse it off with cool water. Do this twice daily.
4. Keeps skin moisturized: Being a great natural moisturizer, aloe vera keeps the skin well hydrated and enhances its elasticity. Well-hydrated and moisturized skin looks healthy and smooth. Peel off the outer layer of an aloe vera leaf with a sharp knife and gently scoop out the gel, massage the gel on your face, neck and other body parts. Do it daily before going to bed.
5. Works as a natural makeup remover: Commercial makeup removers can be full of harmful chemicals that can be damaging to your skin. Instead, you can use aloe vera as a natural makeup remover. The slippery nature of the gel can easily collect makeup residue and leave your skin clean. It even gives the skin a radiant glow. Put a dollop of pure aloe vera gel onto a cotton ball, swipe the cotton ball all around your face to remove your makeup. Finally, rinse your face with water, pat dry and apply a light moisturizer.
6. Treat sunburns: Aloe Vera helps with sunburn through its powerful healing activity at the epithelial level of the skin, a layer of cells that cover the body. It acts as a protective layer on the skin and helps replenish its moisture. Because of its nutritional qualities and antioxidant properties, the skin heals quicker.