According to Dr. Jill of Boys Town pediatrics, stretch marks are tiny tears in the dermis − the second layer of skin − that results in permanent scarring.
Stretch marks can evoke a high sense of self-consciousness due to an undesired appearance. They may emerge at any phase in life where rapid weight gain is apparent such as; puberty or pregnancy.
Getting prior prevention from stretch marks is impractical, say health experts.
“There’s not a cream, lotion, or ‘mommy’ balm that can do that – and if that’s the claim on the bottle, don’t be fooled,” Dr. Lupo from Web-MD says.
It is however probable to make stretch marks fade away. If your stretch marks do not fade overtime as they often do, these are some home remedies worth considering:
Drinking water keeps the body well hydrated. This in turn keeps the skin supple and less prone to tears on the skin. “It helps to keep your body hydrated with water”, says Anne Chapas, MD, a clinical instructor of dermatology at Mount Sinai Medical Center.
According to organic beauty experts, natural white sugar is one of the best natural ways to exfoliate the skin. You can follow the following five-step procedure.
1. Take a tablespoon of sugar and place it in a small bowl.
2. Add a few drops of lemon juice with some almond oil.
3. Mix the juice with sugar and stir thoroughly.
4. Rub on the affected area for a few minutes.
5. Rinse the mixture from the skin with warm water.
Do these every day for almost a month until you notice your stretch marks becoming lighter.
Dr. Mercola in his website, states that potatoes are loaded with minerals and vitamins. These nutrients are essential in enhancing the growth and repair of skin cells. The following four-step procedure outlines how you can use potato juice to “fade” the stretch marks.
1. Cut a potato into thick slices.
2. Rub these on your skin for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. When the juice dries on your skin, let it stay for a few more minutes
4. Rinse off with Luke-warm water
Egg whites contain amino acids and proteins which not only help to minimize the appearance of tears on the skin but also giving a smooth-fairer look.
1. Whip whites from two eggs in a bowl
2. Apply a layer of this mixture on the skin with the use of a brush or your bare fingers.
3. Allow the mixture to dry completely for at least 10 minutes.
4. Rinse egg whites off your skin using lukewarm water
5. Apply some olive oil on the skin to keep it moisturized.
Repeat for at least two weeks for positive results.
Aloe Vera is known to be an effective skin treatment for a number of skin conditions. To use Aloe Vera to help minimize stretch marks options, get the liquid from the Aloe Vera leaves; rub it on the skin gently for a few minutes and then wash with Luke-warm water. Use this herbal remedy on a regular basis for positive effects.
Lemon juice is naturally acidic which helps heal and reduce stretch marks, acne, and other scars, says Dr. Axe the writer of Food is Medicine.
1. Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks in circular motions.
2. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for about 10 minutes
3. Rinse it off with warm water.
Alternatively, you can mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.