The desire to simply fall into bed without removing your bra after a long night is nearly irresistible to every woman. In addition, there is the myth that wearing a bra to bed will make your breasts perkier.
Regardless of how much one hears about the detrimental effects of wearing a bra all day and night, the temptation is always there. Nevertheless, taking an extra minute to remove it will make a significant difference on your health in more ways than one.
Though it may seem completely harmless, the truth is, wearing a bra to bed can actually result in a number of health problems. Here are some health risks of wearing bra to bed.
1. It causes restlessness: Being constricted, even slightly, can affect your sleep. Much like wearing clothing to bed that’s too tight, wearing a bra can cause restlessness due to irritation that you may not even notice. Wearing a bra to bed can prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep.
2. It may cause hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation is a large word for dark spots, discolouration or uneven skin tone. It’s a condition caused by increased levels of melanin, which is the pigment in the body that determines skin colour. Bras that are too tight can cause hyperpigmentation by constantly rubbing against your skin, causing friction, irritation and damaging your skin.
3. It can cause skin irritation: Wearing a bra to bed can easily cause skin irritation. The hooks and straps can protrude into your skin, eventually causing lesions or even cysts if left for too long, particularly if the bra is underwire. While you may not notice any discomfort while falling asleep, your body is sure to suffer irritation throughout the night
4. It impedes circulation: When you sleep in your bra, especially if your bra has underwire, your circulation suffers. If the wire is too tight against your skin, your muscles will be constricted, affecting the circulation of the nerves in your arms. Wearing a snug-fitting bra to bed, including a sports bra, can hurt breast tissue due to constantly restricted circulation.
5. It affects the physiology of the breast: Wearing a constrictive bra to bed can negatively affect the lymphatic system. By impairing blood flow and lymphatic drainage, a too-tight bra can lead to chronic inflammation and fluid retention. The lymph glands help remove toxins from the breast area, so impaired lymph drainage can negatively affect the liver, kidneys and other parts of the body by keeping toxins in, instead of pushing them out. It could also cause br east cancer.
6. It may result in breast fungus: Regularly wearing an ill-fitting bra to bed can create the perfect warm and moist environment that fungi loves to breed in. As unpleasant as it sounds, most women are wearing bras that don’t fit properly, so the chance of developing breast fungus may be more likely than you think. This is especially true if you wear a bra at night.
7. Cancer: Some studies show that wearing bra while sleeping increase chances of breast cancer.