Today marks the dawn of a new era in Benin, Edo State as the crown prince, His Royal Highness, Eheneden Erediauwa, ascends the revered throne to become the 39th Oba of Benin, succeeding his late father, Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolopkolo, Oba Erediauwa.
Below are 7 Things you probably don’t know about the new king:
1. Prince Eheneden, is the eldest son of the late Oba of Benin. He was born in 1953 to the family of late Oba Akpolokpolo Erediauwa.
2. He graduated from the University of Wales where he bagged a degree in Economics and Sociology. He is also a member of Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.
3. The crown prince was a former Nigerian Ambassador to Norway and Angola but was recalled to Benin Kingdom to assume his role as the first son and heir apparent to the throne of Benin Kingdom.
4. Prince Eheneden is married to three wives: Princess Iroghama, Princess Iyayiota and Princess Ikpakpa.
5. He will be the 39th Oba of Benin when he assumes the throne.
6. The crown prince spent three months in Uselu, where he reigned as the Edaiken N’Uselu. It was during his stay at the palace that he conferred chieftaincy titles on his three wives, also known as Oloi N’Erie, in March, 2016. His first wife, Princess Iroghama was named Obazuaye N’Erie; his second wife, Princess Iyayiota, received the title, Obazuwa N’Erie; while his third wife, Princess Ikpakpa was named Ohe N’Erie.
7. He is the founder of South Point Royal School, Benin, and the non-governmental organisation, Benin Royal Dynasty Trust.