Yesterday, September 12, 2016 marked the Eid al-Adha 2016 celebration which means festival of the sacrifice in Arabic.
Nigeria’s first lady, Aisha Buhari was with her husband in Daura for Sallah
Eid al-Adha is the second of two Muslim holidays celebrated worldwide each year, and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son, as an act of submission to God’s command, before God then intervened sending his angel Jibra’il (Gabriel) to inform him that his sacrifice had already been accepted. The meat from the sacrificed animal is divided into three parts. The family retains one third of the share; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the remaining third is given to the poor and needy.
Below is how Nigerian leaders celebrated Eid al-Adha.
1. The President, Muhammadu Buhari celebrated this feast in his hometown, Daura, Katsina State, with his wife, Mrs Aisha Buhari. There, he visited the Emir Of Daura Alhaji Faruk at his Palace.
President Buhari and other dignitaries praying on Sallah day
2. Former president Olusegun Obasanjo celebrated at his hilltop residence while endorsing Dayo Isreal as the APC Lagos Mainland Chairman, Obasanjo pledged his trust in Dayo saying “Politics can be a force for Good and a force for evil. However I have no doubt you will use politics as a force for Good considering what you have done over the years to improve the lives of the common man”.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo with Dayo Israel
3. In Sokoto, the Sultan entertained Governor Aminu Tambuwal and Alhaji Aliko Dangote at the palace.
Aliko Dangote and Aminu Tambuwal with the Sultan of Sokoto in between them
4. The Alafin of Oyo and his Oloris were seen at the Eid prayer ground.
The Alafin of Oyo with his queens looking resplendent on Sallah day
5. Borno state governor, Kashim Shettima, Sen. Abubakar Kyari, Sen. Babakaka Bashir Garbai and the speaker of the Borno state house of assembly Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan celebrated with residents of Konduga community in the state.
Governor Shettima at the Sallah prayers along other state government officials.
6. The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II acquired a Rolls Royce Phantom, the base model of which starts at $250,000 for the celebration.With this new acquisition, the Emir now has at least two Rolls Royce, both models in the Phantom line.
7. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Governor Of Lagos State Akinwunmi Ambode, his wife Bolanle and different APC chieftains In Lagos state paid a visit to the APC chief, Bola Tinubu, to mark the Sallah party.
Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu played host to the Vice President of Nigeria: Yemi Osibanjo and other dignitaries
8. The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi (Ojaja II), on Monday joined Muslim faithfuls in Ife for Eid el-Kabir prayers.
The Ooni of Ife at the prayer ground in Ife for Eid-el-Kabir