After vetting over 100 applications, the Seedstars team finally selected eight startups to compete for a winning spot to represent Nigeria at the Seedstars World finals and win up to $1.5 million in equity investment.
The 8 startups selected to participate at the Seedstars World Lagos 2016 preliminary to hold on the 11th of August 2016 are;
- Davtonlearn – Davtonlearn.com is Nigeria’s No 1 online/cloud based video learning (E-learning) for professional certifications and courses.
- Tuteria Company – Tuteria is an online platform that connects people seeking to learn anything, with those who can teach them what they want to learn.
- Legal Form Limited – Nigeria’s registration portal: starting with company registration; soon land registration, vehicle registration, work permits, food and drugs.
- Quick Gas – Quick Gas is Nigeria’s 1st online Cooking Gas retailing platform. Most convenient, cheapest, fastest and efficient platform to purchase gas.
- Piggybank.ng – lets you save little amounts daily, weekly or monthly automatically directly from your debit card until you reach your target.
- Kangpe – Kangpe allows Africans discuss health issues quickly and confidentially with verified doctors 24/7 via SMS, Mobile App or Web within minutes.
- Grit Systems – Real time data and analytics to address challenges in the world’s most complex and mixed energy landscape.
- Social Lender – is a lending solution based on social reputation on mobile, online and social media platforms.
The last two startups, Social Lender and Grit Systems, were selected from Techpoint’s specific push for Seedstars World Lagos.
The startups selected to compete at the Seedstars Lagos event are less than 2 years old, have raised less than $500,000 in funding and have built a minimum viable product, ideally with existing traction and scalable nature.
While speaking about the event, Benjamin Benaim, founding partner at Seedstars, said “Our mission is to discover startups that come from bustling, emerging economies like Nigeria and give them access to opportunities for support and funding. Specially this year, we have launched our first physical coworking space in Nigeria called Seedspace and the Seedstars Academy where we are constantly striving to add more value to our startups. Therefore, I am very excited for our Seedstars World event in Lagos.”
Further support is provided by international partners, such as the Swiss embassy, Orange, PayU and The Jacobs Foundation, to bring the “Transforming Education Prize” (TRECC), which will award the best startup in the education space from around the world with a prize of over $50,000.