This was done during a meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday, which held at the council chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The Minister of State for Education, Anthony Onwuka, while briefing State House correspondents, said the ministry “submitted a memo seeking approval for eight private universities after recommendation by the NUC.
He revealed the newly approved universities as:
- Anchor University, Ayobo, Lagos
- Arthur Jarvis Akpabuyo University, Calabar, Cross River
- Clifford University, Owerinta, Abia
- Coal City University, Enugu
- Crown Hill University, Kwara
- Dominican University, Ibadan, Oyo
- Kola Daisy University, Ibadan, Oyo
- Legacy University, Okija, Anambra
Onwuka said the new institutions were given three years provisional license and are to be mentored by older ones.
He said Anchor University will be mentored by the University of Lagos, Jarvis University by the University of Calabar and Clifford University by the University of Agriculture, Umudike.
Coal city University will be mentored by the University of Nigeria Nsukka; Crown Hill University by the University of Ilorin; while the two new universities in Oyo State, Kola Daisy and Dominican universities, will be mentored by the University of Ibadan.