We all love Moi Moi, Akara, Gbegiri Soup and other Nigerian delicacies where we need to peel the beans. But nobody enjoys peeling beans because it is one of those tedious Nigerian cooking tasks.
If you have a blender and PHCN is on your side, your days of shying away from cooking Moi Moi ends here.
- Soak the beans for 1 hour. If you are using brown beans, this time may be less. You will know the beans seeds are ready to be peeled when they are swollen and the skin is baggy. The skin should also come off easily when you rub the beans seeds.
- Put a small amount of beans into your blender.
- Pour water to twice the level of the beans.
- Press the Pulse/Turbo button on your blender for 1 second, let go; press it again and let go. Do this 5 times and that is enough to peel the beans without blending them.
If your blender does not have a pulse/turbo button, switch to Speed 1 for 1 second, turn it off; Speed 1, OFF and so on 5 times.
- Pour into a big bowl.
- Repeat this for the remaining soaked beans.
- Decant the peeled beans into another bowl via a sieve. As the water goes into the second bowl, shake the bowl containing the peeled beans from side to side so that it is mostly the skin that goes into the second bowl.
- Repeat Step 7 till all the coat is removed. If there are any stubborn seeds that were not peeled, rub them with your fingers to peel them.
Watch the Video below……