Funny Names Nigerians Call President Buhari’s Ministers
Nigeria is experiencing hard times, some people refer to the situation as trying times. This feeling is borne out of the current state of the economy under the one year old administration of President Mohammadu Buhari – who took over power from Otueke-born Goodluck Jonathan. Goodluck Jonathan belongs to the PDP – that has steered the affairs of the Nation for 16 years. President Buhari assumed power after his fourth shot at the Presidency. His party, All Progressives Congress, has been PDP’s main opposition before they clinched power with a mantra of CHANGE from ex-President Jonathan’s “Transformation Agenda” One year down the lane, Buhari’s administration has not been rated so well by the Nigerian populace because of the not-so-good economy, coupled with some Ministers with great flops their ministries.
Below are some funny names these Ministers are being addressed:
1. Minister of Travel – Chibuike Amaechi – The former governor of Rivers state is Nigeria’s Minister of Transport. Since his assumed the ministerial role, he has been travelling up and down with President Mohammadu Buhari, with no remarkable activities in his sector.
2. Minister of Darkness – Babatunde Raji Fashola – Fashola is Nigeria’s Minister of Power, Works and Housing. The former of Lagos state is in charge of Nigeria’s three powerful sectors. Lately, Fashola has been described as the Minister of Darkness, considering the terribel state of power supply in the country – worse than the previous administration.
Recently, the All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator and the Chairman, Senate Committee on Domestic Debt and Loans, Shehu Sani lashed out at him for the darkness being experienced across the country. Sani described the drop in power supply as unacceptable and embarrassing. He called on President Muhammadu Buhari to rethink his way towards appointing a Minister who is not only an electrical engineer, but who has the knowledge of the industry. Also, few days ago, a Channels TV Presenter was spotted using Power bank on air – a testimony of undependable power supply.
3. Minister of Padded Budget – Udoma Udo Udoma – Udoma is the Nation’s Minister of Budget and National Planning. Udoma has been described as the Minister of ‘padded’ budget, considering the imported figures and manipulations into the 2016 Appropriation Bill.
4. Minister of Lies – Lai Mohammed – Alh. Lai Mohammed is Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture. Before his appointment, he was the Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress. Lai has been described as a Minister of Lies beause of his defence manner of dealing with issues, even when reasons are obvious that things are not working well. Mr. Mohammed was a bone in the in the throat of the Peoples Democratic Party before his party, APC took over federal power last year.
5. Minister of Hard Labour – Chris Ngige is the Minister of Labour and Employment. Nigerians say there has been nothing from Ngige other than reports that he allegedly collapsed while defending the budget of his ministry before the House of Representatives’ Committee on Labour. More so, the manner of street-wandering by Nigerian employed youths make his appointment questionable.
6. Minister of Subsidy – Ibe Kachikwu. Ibe Kachickwu is Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum. Kachikwu has been referred to as the the Minister of Subsidy because of the recent increment in the pump price of Petrol, from N86 to N145 following the removal of fuel subsidy. Kachikwu claims that the removal is needful for the deregulation of the downstream sector, but some Nigerians’ grief is that it should not come when all is not well with the Nation.