Healthy teeth and gums not only give you a beautiful smile, but also indicate good oral health and hygiene that plays a very important role in your life.
Brushing and flossing your teeth isn’t hard to do, doing both properly can help prevent gum disease and tooth loss.
Here are ways to get strong teeth and gums.
Salt can also help strengthen the gums and teeth. Its antiseptic and antibacterial properties inhibit the growth of bacteria in the mouth. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water, use this homemade mouthwash to rinse your mouth at least once daily. Also, prepare a mixture with ½ teaspoon of salt and enough mustard oil to make a paste. Use this paste to brush your teeth, then rinse with warm water. Do this daily in the morning.
The antibacterial and antiseptic properties in peppermint also help maintain oral health and keep your gums and teeth healthy for years. Put a handful peppermint leaves in a glass of hot water for 30 minutes. Strain, then use the solution to rinse your mouth. Do this regularly. Alternatively, put a few drops of peppermint essential oil in a glass of water, then use it to rinse your mouth.
Turmeric contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help keep the gums healthy and teeth free from bacterial infection. Add a little water to ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a paste. Brush your teeth with it, a few times a week. Alternatively, prepare a paste with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon each of salt and mustard oil. Massage it on your teeth and gums once daily. You can also boil ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 cup of water, allow it to cool and use it as a mouthwash once daily.
- Replace your old toothbrush with a new one every two to three months.
- Use alcohol-free mouthwash to rinse away bacteria.
- Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper once daily to remove bacteria and toxins from the tongue and prevent bad breath.
- To maintain oral health, cut back on high-sugar foods.
- Do not use your teeth as tools to open a bottle or cut something.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water after eating your meals.
- Chewing sugar-free gum after a meal can also improve oral health and it helps clean your teeth and stimulates saliva production.
- Eating cheese can help reduce cavities as it neutralizes plaque acid.
- Do not smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
- Include more foods rich in vitamin C in your diet.
- Take a vitamin D supplement, after consulting a doctor, to improve oral health.
- Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables like guava, apples, carrots or cucumbers after eating your meals.
- Wear a mouth guard while playing sports.
- Make sure to get regular dental checkups every 6 months.