Even though your skin may sometimes react in a way you don’t like, you have to remember that your skin is your friend. It shows your physical and mental condition and it warns you about the things you have to change. Also, your skin protects you from so many dangers out there. So you have to take special care of it in return! And of course, sometimes you will spot a zit (or plenty of zits) and you will turn to harsh chemicals or scrubs in order to look better as soon as possible, but one thing is for sure- healthy and beautiful skin takes time. You can’t buy healthy skin in one week. So take a look at these 15 home remedies for acne you can use whenever you want in order to make your skin glow!
1. Apple cider vinegar is very powerful when it comes to battling acne! The reason for this is because it kills the bacteria that may cause the acne. Also, apple cider vinegar balances the pH of your skin, and that’s something bacteria don’t like. In case you have oily skin, apple cider vinegar will definitely help you dry up excess oil. However, be careful because you don’t want to overdo and dry out your skin. Apply vinegar a few times a week and you will be just fine!
2. Cinnamon and honey mask! Even though it sounds too sticky for your skin, considering the honey’s texture, this combination is actually very good for skin that battles acne. Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties and it prevents bacteria from spreading all over your face. On the other hand, honey is a natural anti-biotic and it also helps your skin wipe out acne. Just mix 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and leave it on your face for 15 minutes.
3. Even though there are some concerns about whether dairy products cause acne, it is certain that when applied topically, milk can actually improve your skin tone! Milk soothes the irritated skin and it makes that awful redness go away. Also, Cleopatra adored milk baths, so that should tell you something! The acids in milk (and yogurt) are antibacterial and the fat in these dairy products provides moisture. For this mask you will need 1 tablespoon plain milk or yogurt and 1 tablespoon honey. Leave it on your skin for 15 minutes.
4. Egg whites, people! Egg whites are an affordable way to help reduce acne and acne scars as well. Egg whites are packed with proteins and vitamins that battle acne but also, they help rebuild your skin cells. These healthy ingredients soak up excess oil (sebum) and they leave nothing for bacteria to feed on. Be careful though, because they can dry out your skin a bit, so be sure to use a moisturizer afterwards. For this mask you need to mix 2 or 3 egg whites in a bowl, apply 2 or 3 layers on your skin and wait for about 20 minutes before you rinse your face with warm water!
5. Papaya, yummy! Papaya is also an essential ingredient of so many beauty products, and there is a good reason for it: papaya is actually one of the best natural remedies for acne. Raw papaya removes dead skin cells and excess oil, leaving the skin soft and smooth afterwards. Also, papaya contains an enzyme called papain, which reduces inflammation on the skin. For this mask, you need to mash up the flesh of one papaya and leave it on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes. Then rinse off with warm water.
6. Have you ever heard of orange peel mask? Well, if you haven’t now is the right time to try it on your skin! Oranges (including their skin) are very rich in Vitamin C and citric acid. These ingredients are also great when it comes to unclogging your pores and preventing bacteria and dead skin cells form making a mess on your skin. For this mask you need 2 orange peels and some clean water. It is best to put peels in a blender and slowly add water until you get a paste. Leave it on your skin for 25 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
7. If you have problems with acne, you’ve certainly heard of tea tree oil. So how does tea tree oil work on skin? This magnificent natural oil cuts through the extra sebum and dead skin cells, but also, it unblocks the pores! Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties that kill off the bacteria that cause acne in the first place. Have in mind that tea tree oil is for topical use only. Our recommendation is to dip a Q-tip in tea tree oil and just apply to the areas you find problematic.
8. It only gets yummier from here! Honey and strawberries make one of the best home remedies for acne. This mask combines both facial scrub and cleanser properties, but unlike all those pricey products out there, it is not harsh to your skin. Strawberries are high in salicylic acid, which is one of the primary ingredients in acne treatments. Mix 3 fresh strawberries and 2 teaspoons of raw honey. Apply this mixture to your face and leave it for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
10. Aloe vera is very helpful when it comes to fighting acne. It would be ideal if you had a little aloe plant in your house so you can use it on its own, otherwise a good aloe vera gel may work as well! Aloe is soothing and it has anti-inflammatory properties. It also reduces redness and swelling and it has antibacterial properties. In short, it’s perfect for battling acne. Apply aloe vera directly to problem areas using your fingertips or a Q-tip.