Coconut rice is a type of rice that is made with creamy white coconut extract. This coconut milk is added to the rice to give it that unique taste and flavor. Often times the coconut rice is mistaken for the popular jollof rice due to its appearance, it however, has a very nice delicious taste.
So much as rice falls into the carbohydrate class of food, it is an important source of complex carbohydrate which provides energy to the body and fuel to the brain. As one eats coconut rice one also enjoys the enormous benefits of coconut with other additional ingredients.
As it loaded with relevant benefits, dietitians advise that diabetic patients should not adopt diets heavy on rice especially short-grain and white varieties but dwell more on the brown type of rice.
Nutritional benefits of coconut rice:
1. Rice is easily digested and absorbed into the body.
2. Rice helps to relieve indigestion and nausea, diarrhea and dysentery as well as some skin disorders and high blood pressure.
3. Rice provides vitamins including riboflavin, thiamine and niacin.
4. Rice also contains iron, vitamin D, calcium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, fluoride, sodium and manganese.
5. It contains no cholesterol or gluten and has no additives or preservatives.
6. Rice contains eight amino acids which makes it a good source of protein.
7. Rice is a good source of magnesium, selenium, ash, water folic acid. It is low in fiber and its fat content is primarily omega-6-fatty acids which are considered pro-inflammatory.
8. The additional carrot provides source of vitamin A that is good for vision.
9. Shrimp is an excellent source of selenium. It is low-fat, low-calorie, protein–a four ounce serving of shrimp supplies 23.7 grams of protein (that’s 47.4% of the daily value for protein. Shrimp a very good source of vitamin D and vitamin B12.
10. Shrimp provide large cardiovascular benefits such as fatal heart arrhythmia. It helps to prevent and control high blood pressure. It serves as cancer-protection from selenium and Omega-3 Fatty Acid contents.
11. Shrimp also provides omega-3 fats, which have been found to greatly reduce risk of cancer.
12. Coconut water contains a lot of antioxidants, which help prevent the damage to our bodies caused by free radicals.
13. Improves insulin secretion and symptoms associated with diabetes .. Helps protect the body from cancers due to insulin reduction, removal of free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative disease
14. Coconut water contains cytokine compounds, scientists have confirmed it slows down the development of cancerous cells and aging process.
15. Coconut milk is rich in a medium-chain fatty acid which helps detoxify the body and balances the digestive tract.
• Vegetable oil
• Ground pepper
• Chicken stock
• Thyme, curry, seasoning and salt
1. Grate or grind the coconut then soak overnight in water before use.
2. The next day, sieve out the coconut juice.
3. Pour the juice in the cooking pot then add one and half of cooking spoon of vegetable oil, slice in a few onions, grate bit of ginger, garlic and add.
4. Add thyme, curry, seasoning and salt
5. Add ground pepper and chicken stock.
6. Pour the rice and cover it to boil.
7. Check the rice, if boiled; add the crayfish, some diced carrot and shrimps. Cover until steamed then stir with wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to avoid it getting burnt.