By Nike Popoola
If you have not obtained your Bank Verification Number and biometrics capturing, or you did it in one of the banks where you have accounts, you will not be able to have access to all your other accounts in the other banks except you link the different accounts through the BVN.
The BVN is a biometrics registration that every account holder is expected to do because it gives each bank depositor a unique identity, which can be verified at any bank where he has accounts.
One of the reasons why it was introduced was to promote efficiency and transparency in the Nigerian banking system.
The BVN was also introduced as a measure to boost the safety mechanism in the banking systemas well as reduce incidences of fraudulent transactions.
To do the BVN, a customer needs to visit one of his bank branches in any part of the country.
He will be given a form to fill and supply information about himself, which must tally with what he used to open his bank account.
The bank will also take finger prints and other necessary details of the customer.
After doing the biometrics, the bank will assign him a number, which shall be peculiar to that customer and no one else.
The customer is not expected to go the same process in the other banks, where has accounts. All he is required to do is to take the BVN given to him by the first bank to the other banks and use it to update his information there.
If the information he used to open the other bank accounts is different from what he used for his BVN, he will not be able to use the accounts until he is able to reconcile it on all the accounts.
However, if a customer has done the BVN in one bank, he can conveniently update his information with his other banks through the Automated Teller Machine, Internet banking, the banks’ BVN linking portal, SMS or the customer can simply visit any of the banks’ branches where he will be asked to produce his BVN and fill a form.
- Internet banking: To link your BVN to your other accounts, log on to the Internet banking platform, select the BVN, click on new request, enter your BVN, select the bank where your BVN was issued and answer the secret questions and follow the instructions.
- BVN portal: Enter your Nigeria Uniform Bank Account Number on the BVN portal, select the bank where your BVN was done, enter the BVN and submit.
- ATM: To use the ATM platform, insert your debit card in the machine, select BVN on the transaction menu, enter your BVN number, confirm and submit it.
- SMS: To link your BVN through SMS, text your BVN details to the number provided by your bank. You can get it by calling the bank’s customer care line.
- Bank branches: Asides from using the electronic means, a customer can as well go to any of his bank’s branches to update his BVN.