November 20, 2015
List of All Impeached Nigerian State Governors Since 1999
No political administration anywhere in the world is free from the possibility of impeachment as long as the need arises and as such, Nigeria has had her fair share over the years.
Usually, the issue of impeachment stems from cases of gross misconduct and a grossly faulty electoral output, which has been the reason for many of the cases in Nigeria.
Since the early 90s several governors in different states of the federation have been impeached at one time or the other, and under certain terms and conditions, those governors were replaced.
Below is a list of impeached Nigerian state governors since the inception of Democracy in 1999 as compiled by Metronaija.com
1. Ayo Fayose was impeached as the Executive Governor of Ekiti State, Nigeria on 16 October 2006 on alleged mismanagement of public funds and serial killings.
He was re-elected on the platform of the PDP and currently the gevernor of Ekiti state
2. Peter Obi was governor of Anambra State in Nigeria from 17 March 2006 to 2 November 2006, when he was impeached on alleged misconduct and from 9 February 2007 to 29 May 2007 after his impeachment was overturned.
3. Joshua Dariye, was impeached as the executive governor of Plateau State, Nigeria on 13 November 2006 on alleged siphon of public fund and money laundering in London
Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja
4. Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, was impeached as the Executive Governor of Oyo State, Nigeria on 12 January 2006 by 18 Legislators
5. Late Diepreye Alamieyeseigha was impeached as the executive governor of Bayelsa State, Nigeria on 9 December 2005 on alleged corruption which includes, theft of public funds, abuse of office, and money laundering.
6. Murtala Nyako was impeached as the executive governor of Adamawa State, Nigeria on July 2014 on alleged corruption which includes, theft of public funds, abuse of office, and money laundering