Shocking revelations have emerged, days after the 21 of the abducted Chibok girls were freed and brought to Abuja by top security officials.
Top individuals who were involved in the negotiations leading to the release of the girls that most of them were kept by a faction loyal to the son of the founder of Boko Haram, Mohammed Yusuf, in areas around Lake Chad while the rest of them were with another faction loyal to Abubakar Shekau.
Here are top 7 revelations about the Chibokgirls, negotation and the militants’ angle to the release of the some of the girls
– Of the roughly 197 kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls who still are unaccounted for after Boko Haram militants kidnapped them in Borno State two years ago, about 114 have either died, been married off, or become radicalised and don’t want to leave their Boko Haram kidnappers
– Only 83 will be negotiated for when the the Nigerian government resumes talks next week for their release, two sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations told CNN.
– According to CNN, two sources close to the negotiations disclosed that that Boko Haram received money as part of the deal. The sources did not disclose the amount.
– A source privy to negotiation said: “I can assure Nigerians that none of the 104 Chibok girls had sex with any Boko Haram commanders or associates throughout their ordeal. They stood their grounds that they were not ready to be married off and those who kept them ensured that they were not sexually harassed”.
– Some of the commanders of Boko Haram decided to release only 20 out of the 104 girls to the government as a ‘test of the level of sincerity of the Federal Government to do business with the sect’. While the ‘extra’ one girl released by the sect to the negotiating team was a ‘mark of appreciation’ by the Boko Haram leadership to the leading Nigerian humanitarian leader, who has been deeply involved in all attempts to make peace between them and the government over the years.
– Authoritative sources said that the bomb blast which rocked Maiduguri on Wednesday, was deliberately orchestrated to disrupt the release of the girls.
– The release was tactically done in Banki, a remote area outside Maiduguri, thereby taking the heat off the Borno State capital; foiling the plan of the faction opposed to the deal with the government.