Shisha or sheesha or Hookah, a waterpipe also known as a pneumatic Water Pipe is a single or multi-stemmed instrument for vaporizing and smoking flavored tobacco, whose vapour or smoke is passed through a water basin—often glass-based—before inhalation.
Waterpipe smoking is a common pastime in the Middle East but in recent years, it has been growing in popularity among young people in Nigeria. As many of them smoke it at parties, clubs or at other social gatherings and would swear by anything that it is safe and harmless but guess what?! It isn’t. New facts have emerged that raises the red flag on shisha and we brings these facts to you here…
– The study, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, entailed light-user waterpipe smokers in New York City and participants, who had an average age of 24, smoked no more than three bowls per week, for less than five years, Ronald Crystal from Weill Cornell Medicine and colleagues assessed the effects of waterpipe smoking on study participants using clinical and biological parameters. The clinical data showed that, compared to non-smokers, waterpipe smokers coughed more frequently and produced more sputum.
– Scientists analyzed the effects of smoking a waterpipe on a group of light-use smokers – and found marked changes in the cell linings the airways.
– The researchers noted an increase in the circulation of small particles shed by endothelial cells in the lungs. “This is indicative of ongoing damage to the capillaries.”
– The authors wrote that compared to one cigarette, one waterpipe session exposes the smoker to 2 to 4 times the amount of nicotine; 7 to 11 times the amount of carbon monoxide; 100 times more tar; 17 times the amount of formaldehyde; 2 to 5 times the amount of high molecular weight carcinogenic polyaromatic hydrocarbons; and 3 times the amount of phenol.
– According to the researcher, it is uncontrolled – there are no regulations pertaining to its use – and the data raises red flags that even limited use may cause lung damage.
If you didn’t know, well now you do!!!