As it is popularly conceived, especially in Nigeria, children from royal families are not allowed to take up jobs about entertainment because as a member of the royal family they are to be entertained and not to entertain people. But reverse seems to be the case now, as children from royal homes now sing, dance and act to entertain commoners and royal descents alike. Here is a list of Nigerian celebrities from royal families.
1. Prince Jide Kosoko: Veteran Nollywood actor Prince Jide Kosoko is from the Kosoko royal home of Lagos. Jide Kosoko who has been around in the Nigerian entertainment industry for over five decades has never fail to discuss himself as a prince.
2. King Sunny Ade: KSA as King Sunny Ade is fondly called is from a royal family on both sides. His father is from a royal home in Ondo town where he is from while his mother hailed from the popular Adesida royal family of Akure thus the appellation Omoba meaning prince KSA is a juju music legend who has been on the scene for over five decades. By September 22, 2016, KSA will be 70. KSA’s music is recognized worldwide and he has two Grammy nominations.
3. Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi: Gbemi Olateru- Olagbegi was born into the popular Olateru-Olagbegi royal family of the ancient Owo town, Ondo state. Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi is an on-air-personality with Beat 99.9 FM. She is also presents programmeds on Cool presenter, especially known for presenting programmes on radio station Cool FM and on The Beat 99.9 FM.
4. Rita Dominic: Nollywood actress Rita Dominic was born into the royal Waturuocha family of Aboh Mbaise local government area in Imo State. She is the youngest of four siblings. Dominic has been in Nollywood for almost two decades and has won many awards. She has won the award for the best dressed Nollywood actress for years now.
5. Tilla Man: Tillaman is one of the sons of the reigning Alaafin of Oyo Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III. Born Prince Adetona Adeyemi, Tillaman sings hip hop.
6. Omawunmi: Singer, Omawumi was born of a father with an itshekiri chiefdom title on the 13th of April 1982. The songstress has been active in music for more than 9 years. She’s also ventured into acting with a minor role in the 2009 edition of the V-Monolugues, a play that reflects the negative issues affecting women in Nigeria, Inale, a Hollywood/Nollywood Bongos-Ikwe production, starring Hakeem Kae Kazeem, Dede Mabiaku, and Ini Edo She also starred in the musical play Olurombi. She’s starred in Funke Akindele’s Return of Jenifa and Yvonne Nelson’s House of Gold (2013) along Majid Michel and Ice Prince.
7. Toolz: The newly married on-air-personality with Beat 99.9 FM is from the popular Oniru royal family of Lagos. Born Tolu Oniru, Toolz also compere shows and events. Toolz married her long time boyfriend Tunde Demuren traditionally on January 30, 2016.