You all know the priorities our various parents attached to education in this part of the world, they always want to use you to boast in front of their friends.
These days, some events and competitions are killing the values average Nigerian students have for Education. You hear them say “Eni to mo way, lomo iwe” meaning “Na person wey know way, sabi book”.
You see students prepare for debate and other school competitions.. Have sleepless night just to prepare and when they eventually win, they return home with feeding bottle gifts and the likes ??
Then you see the likes of Gulder Ultimate Search, Big Brother etcs cruising in a brand new SUV plus a very good amount of money that can change their story for life if properly spent…
Now, what are we saying?
See below, Prizes Attached to different Competitions in Nigeria
* Big Brother Africa: $300,000 (N48m).
* Big Brother Naija: 25m
* Maltina Dance: N10 million.
* MTN Project Fame: N7.5million & SUV.
* Etisalat’s Nigerian Idol: N5m & multi-million naira contracts.
* Glo Naija Sings: N5million & SUV.
* Gulder ultimate search: N10m plus endorsements & SUV
* COWBELL Mathematics competition: N100k.
* Lagos State Spelling Bee: N50k.
* Cool-FM spelling game: A goodie bag filled with amiladrink.
* UNIBEN BEST Graduating Student: N2k.
And someone is asking and wondering why there is so much failure in WAEC and JAMB?
Soon a time will come when parents will no longer say:
Read your books and get good grades but “Read your lyrics and make a hit songs.. ???
Looking at the competitions above and their various reward, do you think any student can actually stay 100% gingered towards his/her education?
What do you guys have to say about this Issue?
Drop your comments.