Hundreds of millions of Muslims across the world began fasting on Monday to observe the holy month of Ramadan. Almost 2 billion Muslims around the world are fasting from dawn to dusk. Fasting acts as a reset for the mind, body and soul. Ramadan is also a month for showing gratitude. By abstaining from food and water during the day, the faithful are reminded of those who are less fortunate. Ramadan’s iftar tables are also a gathering place where families and friends enjoy this holy month of cleansing.
However, fasting means not consuming food and water for many hours which makes the Ramadan diet more important. To feel full during the fasting hours and have no medical problems after iftar, Dr. Fevzi Özgönül said one can turn these long fasting hours into boosting the digestive system and resting the body with a right diet.
“The meal times change during the Ramadan and it is our interest to use long hours of fasting for the benefit of our bodies,”
Here are ways to rejuvenate your body this Ramadan:
- Do not skip suhoor. In order not to feel any hungrier than you should, it is important to give up sleep and wake up for suhoor. What you eat for suhoor is also crucial for a healthy Ramadan. It is advised to consume foods that you eat for breakfast as well as fatless meat and some soup. Fruits are not good during sahur.
- During fasting hours, you will not be able to drink water so compensate it by drinking a lot of water in suhoor.
- After long hours of fasting, your body will be in need of a lot of water It is better not to drink too much water while you are your breaking fast. If you drink more than two glasses of water, it could prevent you from eating nutritious food that your body needs.
- It is advisable to break the fast with small amounts of olives, dates or nuts and to take five to 10 minutes to rest your stomach and ready it for the main course.
- Before starting the main course of iftar, take a small walk around the house, so either take a walk or visit the mosque for tarawih( the Ramadan prayers).
- Beverages with caffeine cause dehydration so make sure not to consume too much tea, coffee or carbonated drinks.