By the nomenclature of birth, Blackface is Ahmed Augustine Obiabo. He is widely referred to by his stage name” Blackface” or” blackface Naija”. He is a professional Nigerian dancehall, reggae singer, and songwriter. He was part co-writer of “Africa Queen” with 2Baba and also released his debut solo album song titled “face to face” in 2004. Which hit the air internationally.
Early life and Education
Blackface was born on the 30th of August,1974, in Nigeria. He hails from Oguwule, Agetu Local Government, Benue State Nigeria. in one of the North Central states in Nigeria. he started his educational life in 1985, at Army Children’s School Otukpo. And in 1991, he had his secondary education at Mount Saint Gabriel’s Secondary School, Makurdi.
In 1996, he had his undergraduate education in Enugu, where he graduated from the Institute of Management and Technology (IMT), Enugu with a National Diploma (ND) in Business Administration and Management.
Blackface appeared in the music industry in the year 2000, when he founded a band named Plantashun Boyz, which featured 2Baba, also known as 2face, and musician Chibuzor Oji (better called Faze).
Blackface and 2face started their friendship right from secondary school in Benue state. The band successfully dropped two albums titled “body and soul” in that same year, and in 2003, they released ”sold out”. Unfortunately, the band parted ways in 2004 when Blackface claimed the ownership of the song “ African QUEEN” later the band united back in 2007 for just one more album titled plan B.
In May 2005, Blackface released his hip-pop album titled Ghetto child, cooperating with different artists. The album comprises a” hard life” featuring Alabai as the first single. In 2013, Blackface in collaboration with Maine Eazz, released, an album 200, which attracted multiple awards to his career.
Blackface married Dayo for eight years and was blessed with two children named Caroline and Alex. Sadly, both couples had issues that led to divorce and had gone separately.
- Ghetto child
- Jungle Fever
- Musiq and I
- Dancehall Business
- Prospective Defender.
Awards And Nominations in music
- AMAA Awards – Achievement in Soundtrack (2012)
- Criteria Magazine Awards- Youth motivator(2009)
- Hip-Hop World Awards- Best Vocalist of the year (2006)
- SoundCity Awards- Best Choreography Video- Kpo Kpo Di Kpo (2008)
- 8 Fame Music Awards- Best Male Act (2006)
- AMEN Awards- Best Act of the Year (2007)
- AMEN Awards- Best Album of the Year- Independent (2007)
- AMEN Awards- Best Male Vocalist (2007)
- AMEN Awards- Best R&B Album- Independent (2007)
- AMEN Awards- Best R&B Male Vocal Performance (2007)
- AMEN Awards- Best Song of the Year- Kolomental (2007)
- AMEN Awards- Most Popular Song- Kolomental (2007)
- Channel O Awards – Best Newcomer Video – Kolomental (2007)
- Channel O Awards- Best West African Video- Loving you Everyday (2008)
- Futures Awards- Best Artistes of the year (2008)
- Hip-Hop World Awards- Best Album of the Year- Independent (2008)
- Hip-Hop World Awards- Best R&B/Pop Album of the Year- Independent (2008)
- Hip-Hop World Awards- Best Song of the Year- Kolomental (2008)
- Hip-Hop World Awards- Best Vocal Performance- Someone like me (2008)
- Hip-Hop World Awards- Recording of the Year- Need Somebody (2008)
- MOBO Awards- Best African Act- Independent (2008)
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards- Best male vocalist (2006)
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards- Best R&B Album of the Year (2007)
- Nigeria Music Video Awards- I’m in love (2009)
- Soundcity Awards- Best Choreography of the Year -Kpo Kpo Di Kpo (2008)
- Soundcity Awards- Best Direction Video of the Year- Kolomental (2008)
- Soundcity Awards- Best Male Video of the Year-Kolomental (2008)
- Soundcity Awards- Best R&B Video of the Year- Need Somebody (2008)
- Soundcity Awards- Best Video of the Year- Tattoo Girls (2008)
Blackface Naija has amassed indeed a sensible wealth from his talented professional music star estimated net worth of about $500,000.