Contrary to report by the Nigerian army that no soldier was killed during the ambush by Boko Haram troops in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State, three soldiers have been confirmed dead.
Ahmad Salkida, a journalist known to have access to the leadership of Boko Haram, had earlier quoted military sources as confirming the army suffered casualties in the attack.
The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Brig-Gen. Texas Chukwu, in a statement Monday, said the news making the round alleging attack on soldiers and capturing of military vehicles by Boko Haram were exaggerated.
He was categorical that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media, stressing that it was only one officer and soldier that were injured in the attack.
He stated that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno State by suspected Boko Haram terrorists as a result of the difficult terrain “where our vehicles bugged down”.
According to him, the terrorists also attempted to cart away the troops’ operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by “our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force”.