Tara Fela-Durotoye is the founder and CEO of House of Tara International. She is a leading beauty and makeup entrepreneur who has built a strong beauty brand that is beyond borders and is well-recognized internationally.
Tara Fela-Durotoye was born on the 6th of March 1977 at St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos to the polygamous family of John Ejegi Sagay and Felicia Omaghomi. At the time of her birth, her father was the commissioner at the Federal Civil Service, Nigeria. However her parents separated when she was only 8 months, thankfully she had step mothers who stepped in to fill the gap her mother’s absence had created. She was raised by her step mother- Modupe Agnes Sagay.
She had her primary school education at Command Children School, Victoria Island and went on to Nigeria Navy Secondary School, Ojo for her secondary school education. For her university education she went to Lagos State University and graduated with a degree in Law.
Tara Fela-Durotoye is married to Fela Durotoye who us a business strategist, corporate activator and CEO of Visible Impact. Together they have three sons- Mobolurin, Demilade and Morolaoluwa.
Although Tara had already started working on make-up she only fully established her company- House of Tara International after graduating from the university.
Today the company has grown to become one of the most trusted and also expensive make-up brands in Nigeria with three major lines- the Make-up Studio, the Makeup School and the Tara product line which consists of beauty products and professional make-up kits.
Tara is indeed one who is not afraid to try new waters. This innovative and daring part of her person has pushed her to have pioneered almost every traditional act in the make-up industry today. She launched the first bridal directory in Nigeria in 1999. She facilitated the first series of bridal seminars in 2000 which had in attendance Nigeria’s recognized professionals in the bridal industry. She started the first make-up school in Nigeria in 2004. She also organized the Makeup in Nigeria Conference which was the first ever congregation of makeup professionals in Nigeria.
She established the country’s first Make Up school in 2004, and also launched the Tara product line, comprising a range of professional tool kits (such as make-up boxes, brushes and purses) for make-up artists and a wide range of make-up products including eye shadows, eye liner, foundation, powders and lip gloss. The company today has stretched out to other West African countries like Benin, Ghana and Senegal.
Some of Tara Fela-Durotoye’s national and international awards include:
- Entrepreneur of the Year (The Future Awards)
- Young person of the Year (The Future Awards)
- Award for excellence (beauty), city people
- Award for Excellence in the Beauty Sector 2006(City People magazine)
- Pioneer Award for Beauty 2006. (Fashion and Style Award)
- 1st lady award for Women empowerment
- Wedding Planner Honorary award for mentoring other make artists, January 2008
- Best Makeup Artist (Fashion and Style magazine)
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year (Lagos Enterprise Award)
House of Tara International has won several awards including
- Right Vision Movement Award Creativity & Productivity Make over Outlet of the year 2006.
- The Africa SMME Award presented in South Africa and the Entrepreneur of the Year award.2007
- Creative business award of the year, success digest 2008