In order to continue with the ongoing surveillance on the outbreak of cholera and related diseases, the Niger Government has approved N25m for its Ministry of Health.
This disclosure was made at the press conference in Minna on Wednesday by Dr. Jibrin Mustapha, the Commissioner for Health and Hospital Management.
The commissioner said that the money would be used to curtail the disease as well as prevent other outbreaks throughout the year.
He said that so far, seven people had died of cholera since the outbreak of the disease was confirmed on June 19, even as 120 cases were reported from Bida, Gbako, Katcha and Lavun Local Government Areas of the state.
Mustapha said that five among the cases tested positive to Vibrio cholera, adding that 20 persons, who were on admission at the Umaru Sanda General Hospital Bida, were responding to treatment.
The commissioner added that 205 cases of gastroenteritis had been reported in Agaie, Gurara, Lapai, Mokwa, Munya, Paikoro, Suleja, Tafa and Wushishi Local Government Areas.
He said a team comprising of the state health officials and partners such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the United Nations Children Education Fund (UNICEF), had visited Bida to ensure rapid responses to the situation.
According to him, WHO is providing a technical support to ensure quick response to contain the outbreaks while UNICEF is supporting in coordinating strategic communication, health education and social mobilisation.