Okro pepper soup is another spicy Nigerian recipe that traces it’s origin to the Southern part of Nigeria. If you’ve love Delta pepper soup then you need to try this.
It is healthy and nutritious and fit fam friendly as it is prepared without oil.
Try your hands on this recipe by My Active Kitchen
- 500g okra, chopped in chunks
- 300g of mutton substitute with goat meat
- Smoked catfish fillets
- Few pieces of shrimps and any fresh fish washed and seasoned with salt
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- ½ tsp rosemary, I used dried one
- A handful of basil substitute with scent leaves (efinrin)
- 1 heaped tbsp pepper soup spice
- Ground crayfish
- 2 handfuls of uwgu, chopped
- Cayenne pepper
- Place a pan on a medium heat, add the washed beef, seasoning and salt.
- Add enough water to cook just as you would for pepper soup.
- After about 10 minutes of boiling, add the pepper soup spice, bay leaves, catfish fillets, cayenne pepper and rosemary and cook till beef is about 95% tender.
- Add the fish to the sauce at this point and leave to cook in the sauce for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chopped okra to the pepper soup, cook for a minute stirring in between. Add the shrimp to the soup and stir to combine.
- Check for salt and seasoning.
- Add your greens of choice at this stage if using, stir in the soup to combine and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add the fish and cook for another minute or two.
- Take the okra pepper soup off the heat and serve with your steaming hot swallow of choice.
Check out this video tutorial by Sisi Yemmie