We lose our important files or documents from our hard disk or storage device by accidentally deleting. Some of the time, a software bug or virus can also corrupt your storage unit. Regarding data loss, you need a very good data recovery software or a recovery tool to recover your important data back at any cost.
At this point of time, a data recovery software comes in handy. We have compiled a list of best free data recovery software considering factors such as whether the software can recover RAW, Unallocated, Corrupt or Formatted Hard Disk; its ability to recover from different file systems such as FAT, FAT32, HFS, NTFS etc.; the array of devices supported; time taken for file recovery and user friendliness to name a few.
At this point of time, a data recovery software comes in handy. To answer your query, we have compiled a list of best free data recovery software considering factors such as whether the software can recover RAW, Unallocated, Corrupt or Formatted Hard Disk; its ability to recover from different file systems such as FAT, FAT32, HFS, NTFS etc.; the array of devices supported; time taken for file recovery and user friendliness to name a few. Let’s take a look at some of the best data recovery software you can use to recover lost data:
15 BEST DATA RECOVERY SOFTWARE OF 2017 FOR FREE:
The fact that Recuva is on the top of the best data recovery software list, may not come as a surprise to the most of you. This data recovery tool has the ability to restore files from hard drives, DVD or CDs, memory cards, and external drives.
Some of the features that bring Recuva on top of the list of Best recovery software are:
- Superior file recovery
- Advanced deep scan mode
- Secure overwrite feature that uses industry & military standard deletion techniques and,
- Ability to recover files from damaged or newly formatted files
- Easy User interface
Supported Platforms: Recuva data recovery software for PC can be used on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows.
A list of best data recovery software can hardly be termed as being complete without a mention of TestDisk recovery software. It’s an open source software that was created with an aim to get back lost partitions and fix non-booting disks. Packed with features and a file recovery system that can easily overshadow that of any other data recovery software, TestDisk has a lot to offer for both novices and experts. Here are some of the TestDisk’s features:
- Allows users to recover/rebuild the boot sector
- Fix or recover deleted partition table besides being able to reliably undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 file systems.
- Available on all major platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X etc and is in fact quite popular as it can be found on various Linux Live CD’s.
Being a command line tool, TestDisk hard drive recovery tool may not be suitable for some users for data recovery.
Supported Platforms: TestDisk can run on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows, Linux, BSD, macOS, and DOS.
3. UNDELETE 360:
With the looks of a typical Office application, the Undelete 360 is built on a fast yet efficient algorithm which enables the user to undelete files. Here are some of the features of Undelete 360:
- Works on a variety of devices such as Digital cameras, memory cards, smartphones, computer hard drives, USBs etc.
- It includes a data-wiping tool, a Hex Viewer along with the ability to preview files before recovery.
- Does a great job in recovering recently deleted files as compared to other free data recovery software
- Also able to recover files of a wide variety of types such as DOC, HTML, AVI, MP3, JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
However, scanning speed needs major improvement and this tool also lags out its competition in terms of recovering data.
Supported Platforms: Undelete 360 can run on Windows 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows.
Definitely one of the best data recovery software out there, PhotoRec is widely acclaimed for its powerful file recovery over a wide variety of devices ranging from digital cameras to hard disks. It’s specially created to recover data like pictures, videos, documents, etc., from hard disks, CD-ROMs. Here are some of the features of PhotoRec recovery tool:
- Compatible with almost all major platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X etc.
- Comes packed with the ability to recover more than 440 different file formats.
- Features such as the ‘unformat function’ and the ability to add your own custom file types do come in handy.
Although I wouldn’t advise this free data recovery software to beginners as it is completely devoid of a GUI and uses a command line interface which may intimidate some users.
Supported Platforms: PhotoRec recovery program can run on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, & older versions of Windows, Linux, BSD, DOS, macOS.
5. PANDORA RECOVERY:
Pandora recovery is one of the most reliable and effective best free data recovery software out there. Pandora recovery tool has a lot to offer to its users. Here are some of the features of this tool:
- Ability to recover deleted files from NTFS and FAT-formatted volumes
- Preview deleted files of certain types (image and text files) without performing recovery
- With surface scan (which allows you to recover data from drives that have been formatted) and the ability to recover archived, hidden, encrypted and compressed files, it packs quite a punch.
- Its interface is very easy to get a hang of and provides an explorer-like view along with color coded and recovery percentage indicators.
However, its file detection system is not that reliable and needs to be improved further. This excellent data recovery software could be made portable as well so that it doesn’t consume any space on the hard disk and thereby not consume space that a file which we wish to recover once consumed.
Supported Platforms: Pandora data recovery can run on Windows 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows.
6. MINITOOL PARTITION RECOVERY:
Standard undelete programs like Recuva, Pandora etc. are perfect for recovering a few deleted files, but what if when you have lost an entire partition? Then you will probably need a specialist application like MiniTool Partition Recovery. Here are some of the great features of this recovery tool specialized in partition recovery:
- An easy wizard-based interface
- Specialized in data recovery on an entire partition
- Point MiniTool Partition Recovery tool at the problematic drive and it will scan for the missing partition
- Generates a recovery report which will let you know what the program has found to help you in data recovery
- Can’t use data recovery on a bootable disc here.
Supported Platforms: MiniTool Partition Recovery software can run on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows.
7. WISE DATA RECOVERY:
Wise data recovery tool is one of the fastest undelete tools among the best data recovery software. Besides being faster, it also comes with some nice features. Here is a list of its features:
- Easy and an intuitive interface
- Can recover deleted files from local drives, USB drives, cameras, memory cards, removable media devices etc.
- Faster search filter by selecting inbuilt file extension groups using the file’s type.
- Compatible from Windows XP to Windows 8.
8. PURAN FILE RECOVERY:
Puran file recovery works in 3 main recovery modes. These recovery modes are:
- Default Quick Scan (It simply reads the FAT or NTFS file system for deleted files from the recycle bin etc.)
- Deep Scan (includes scanning all available free space) and,
- Full Scan (checks all space on the device for the best chance of recovery)
- Works from Windows XP to Windows 8
Using the “Find lost files” option turns Puran File Recovery into a tool to recover all files from a lost or damaged partition. Something else you can do is edit the custom scan list which stores file signatures for more accurate recovery of badly damaged data.
Supported Platforms: Puran file recovery software can run on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows.
9. PC INSPECTOR FILE RECOVERY
PC Inspector File Recovery works well on both FAT and NTFS drives even if the boot sector has been erased or damaged. Here are some of the features of this recovery tool.
- Simple search dialog can help locate files by name.
- Recovered files can be restored to a local hard disk or network drives.
- Can recover image and video of several types of files in different formats such as ARJ, AVI, BMP, DOC, DXF, XLS, EXE, GIF, HLP, HTML, JPG, LZH, MID, MOV, MP3, PDF, PNG, RTF, TAR, TIF, WAV and ZIP.
- Can scan just specific areas of the disc with the Cluster scanner
- Works perfectly from Windows XP to Windows 7
However, the interface is a little confusing mess of tabs. So, be careful with this tool. Also, note that if your hard disk is has faced some mechanical damage, you need to look for some specialist.
Supported Platforms: PC Inspector file recovery software can run on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and older versions of Windows.
Restoration data recovery program takes the 10th position in the list of top 15 best data recovery tools. It is no different and is similar to the other free undelete apps on this list. Even if it is in the tenth position, here are a few things that we liked about this data recovery tool:
- Very simple and easy to use
- No confusing and no cryptic buttons or any complicated file recovery procedures
- It can recover data and files from hard drives, memory cards, USB drives, and other external drives as well.
- Does not need to be installed and can run data recovery from a USB drive.
Supported Platforms: Restoration runs on Windows Vista, XP, 2000, NT, ME, 98, and 95 and also, successfully tested Windows 7 and Windows 10. Sometimes, runs into a problem with Windows 8