5 Ways International Students In Canada Can Stay After Graduation

Graduating from a Canadian institution marks the beginning of a vital decision-making moment for international students, in addition to the culmination of years of hard work. The subject of how to stay in Canada after graduation is critical for anyone seeking to extend their stay in one of the world’s most friendly nations.

However, navigating postgraduate possibilities in Canada necessitates careful planning and consideration of your long-term career and residency objectives. If you understand the process, you may strategically improve your chances of having a successful future in Canada.

Here are some practical pathways for international grads to continue their adventure in Canada.

1. Obtain a post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

A Post-Graduation Work Permit allows graduates to earn up to three years of work experience in Canada, depending on the length of their academic degree.

To qualify, you must have completed at least an eight-month program at a certified learning institution. It is critical to apply within 180 days of getting your final academic results and to check that your program is eligible for a PGWP.

If your study permission expires while you are waiting for your transcript, you may need to apply for a visitor record to keep your legal status in Canada.

2. You can extend your stay with a visitor record

Obtaining a visitor record can be a strategic move for those who are waiting for transcripts or whose study permits are about to expire. This document prolong your lawful stay in Canada without allowing employment.

Applications should be submitted at least 30 days before the current permit expires. This technique gives you time to plan your next steps toward permanent residence or work permit applications.

3. You can try other work permits

The numerous work permit alternatives available in Canada make the move from student status to full-time job even easier, which is critical for those seeking permanent residency. The International Mobility Program (IMP) and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) are great options.

The IMP provides the flexibility to work for a variety of employers, whereas the TFWP may require a job offer and employer sponsorship to advance.

4. Pursue further studies

If you want to broaden your academic horizons, enrolling in further studies may be advantageous. Whether you are pursuing a second undergraduate degree or a postgraduate program, continuing education can improve your skills and, as a result, your eligibility for programs such as the PGWP.

Notably, beginning of January 2024, students must demonstrate that they can support themselves with at least $20,635 per year.

5. Transition to permanent residency

Many overseas graduates pursue permanent residency as their ultimate objective. Programs like the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) under the Express Entry system provide a path to permanent residency for people with Canadian work experience.

This stage is critical since it establishes your status in Canada and opens up long-term employment and residency options.

Why I Relocated To US, Converted To Christianity – Adewale Ayuba

Dangote Refinery Ships 787,400 Oil Barrels to Singapore, Marking First Asian Shipment