On August 1, 2023, Nigerians awoke to the tragic news of the ‘avoidable’ death of a young doctor, Ovwaera Diaso, who perished in an elevator accident while on duty at the General Hospital, Odan, Lagos.
Diaso died as a result of injuries incurred while falling and becoming stuck in the elevator for more than 40 minutes.
Her death has now provoked indignation, protest, and a strike on social media.
Diaso’s remains were laid to rest on Tuesday, August 8, amid tears and sadness by her loved ones.
“Today my sister was buried. The pain my family and I are going through is indescribable. To so many people Vwaere is just another sad story of how the Nigerian government has and continues to fail its people but she’s more than that,” Its_Diaso, the deceased’s sister tweeted.
As more people continue to seek justice for the death of the promising young doctor fondly known as ‘dockie’ by her family, here are five things you should know about her.
(1) Ovwaera Diaso was 24 at the time of her passing. She was from the Ewu Kingdom in Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State.
According to her sister Ese (It’s Diaso) “was a daughter, granddaughter, sister, girlfriend, friend, niece, our dockie who worked tirelessly helping people.”
(2) Diaso graduated from Babcock University, Ilishan Remo, Ogun State.
(3) ‘Dockie’ joined General Hospital Odan, Lagos Island in 2022 and had two weeks to the completion of her housemanship before the unfortunate incident that claimed her life on August 2.
(4) A colleague who spoke with The PUNCH described the late Diaso as a “kind, smart, and extremely diligent” doctor. She was the Chief House Officer in most of the units she worked. She was a leader and a very humble one at that.
“She showed extreme diligence when dealing with her patients. She was always so kind to them. The relative of the patients she saw last were rolling on the ground to know she passed,” he said.
(5) Diaso was in a relationship before her passing. The 24-year-old was dating a young man who simply goes by the handle Stball_ on Twitter.
The two lovingly engaged with each other’s posts on Twitter as often as they could.