After obtaining nearly $1.2 million in scholarship offers from several universities, a Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School senior has his entire academic future planned out.
18-year-old Randy ‘Haden’ Gilley will study at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. The 1876-founded private university John Hopkins is placed seventh in the Best National University Rankings for 2022–2023.
Gilley hopes to complete both degrees in four years by enrolling in the university’s Bachelor of Science/Master of Science program, where he will study molecular and cellular biology.
While at John Hopkins, Gilley will be minoring in French and receiving premed prerequisites.
Following that, Gilley plans on going to medical school.
After medical school, Gilley wants to go to graduate school and get a Master’s in theology and join Doctors Without Borders, a charity that provides humanitarian medical care.
“My ultimate goal is to be able to evangelize to the nations while using the gifts God has given me to follow His plan and help others,” Gilley tells 12News.
Gilley’s mom tells 12News her son was awarded $1,197,900 in total offers from 10 different schools.
Gilley’s rundown of scholarship offers, according to his mom:
- University of Alabama-
- Presidential Diversity Scholarship-$125,840
- Presidential National Housing-$37,200
- Provost Academic Excellence-$4,000
- Fordham University-
- Recognition Scholarship- $230,000
- Johns Hopkins University-
- Hopkins Scholarship-$258,000
- Texas A&M-
- National Recognition Residential Scholarship-$24.000
- Opportunity Award-$4,000
- University of New Mexico-
- National Hispanic Scholarship-$121,160
- Texas State University-
- Merit Scholarship- $12,000
- National Hispanic Scholarship-$32,000
- Baylor University-
- Merit Based Scholarship-$64,000
- Louisiana State University-
- Merit Based Scholarship-$82,200
- University of Arkansas-
- Non-residential Tuition Waiver-$64,000
- University of Nebraska Lincoln-
- Chancellors Scholarship-$100,000
- Out of state tuition waiver scholarship-$39,500