Obiageri Amaechi is a Nigerian poet and track and field athlete of American descent who specializes in the discus throw and qualified to represent Nigeria in 2021. Amaechi won the California State Championship discus event and then finished third in the shot put, establishing herself as one of the top four throwing recruits in the country this year.
Early Life and Education
Obiageri was born in San Francisco, California on March 12, 1999. She is from the southeastern part of Nigeria, but she has spent her entire life in the United States, where she completed her primary, secondary, and university education before deciding to represent Nigeria in athletics competitions.
Obiageri Amaechi, a fourth-year student from San Francisco, California, hopes to earn a global health policy certificate as well as a bachelor’s degree in psychology with a social psychology specialization from Princeton University. As a Mellon Mays Residential Associate in Medical Anthropology, her research takes an interdisciplinary approach to investigate health disparities, socioeconomic determinants of health, and cultural competency. Her current research looks at the advantages and disadvantages of cultural competency as a strategy for reducing health disparities among disadvantaged groups.
Obiageri Amaechi, a Princeton University graduate, competed for the United States in the U20 Pan American Championships in Trujillo in 2017 and finished fourth overall with a distance of 52.24 meters. She later withdrew after the qualifying round of the U20 World Championships in Tampere with a time of 48.94 m. She won the bronze medal at the 2022 African Championships in Port Louis, finishing 54.15 meters behind fellow countrywoman Chioma Onyekwere and Cameroonian Nora Monie.
- Discus throw: 57.95 m, May 4, 2019, in Princeton
- First Team All-America, Discus (2018, 7th).
- Second Team All-America, Discus (2021, 13th)
- NCAA Championship Qualifier (2018, 2019, 2021)
- NCAA Regional Qualifier (2018, 2019, 2021)
- Ivy League Champion, Discus (2019).
- First Team All-Ivy League, Discus (2019)
- Ivy League Runner-Up, Shot Put (Indoor 2019).
- Second Team All-Ivy League, Shot Put (Indoor 2019).
- Ivy League Runner-Up, Discus (2018)
- Second Team All-Ivy League, Discus (2018)
- Ivy League Scorer, Shot Put (Indoor 2018)
- Ivy League Scorer, Shot Put (Outdoor 2018).
- Academic All-Ivy League (Indoor 2021)
- USTFCCCA All-Academic (2018, 2019)
- School & Ivy League Record, Discus, 57.59 (2019).
- Top-5 Mark, Shot Put, 13.87 (Outdoor 2018).
- 2018-19: Competed in four outdoor and four indoor regular season meets…competed at the IAAF World U20 Championships in July 2018, where she finished seventh in the discus with a best throw of 54.16 metres.
- 2017-18: Competed in three outdoor regular season meets…won the discus at the ECAC/IC4A Outdoor Championships…competed in four regular indoor season meets.
Her net worth is currently not available.