Davido’s critically acclaimed studio album, Timeless, has shattered many international records since its March 31, 2023 release, well beyond critics’ expectations. Despite a partial leak, the 17-track album is sweeping the world’s charting platforms and setting new benchmarks for African musicians and Afrobeat performers.
“Following the release of the album, the global streaming giant, Spotify, said Davido’s music is the most streamed in the United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Nigeria.”
His fans’ allure is undeniable, as the Afrobeat musician creates music that captures elusive, exciting energy, and admirers from all over the world have bonded since his early releases. While he is unquestionably popular in Nigeria, the United States is the single largest market for Omo Baba Olowo’s (OBO) songs, with the vast majority of his plays coming from outside Africa.
The top four nations where his music is streamed are the United Kingdom, Nigeria, Canada, and France. “We are honored to share his art and ethos with his devoted fans in Nigeria and around the world,” stated Victor Okpala, Sportify’s West Africa Artist and Label Partnerships Manager.
Below are a few highlights on the performance of Davido’s ‘Timeless’ album since its release
1. The album grabbed the all-time record for the biggest debut week by any album on Spotify Nigeria on its first day of release. ‘Timeless’ tallied 4.91 million streams on March 31, beating the previous record debut week total of 4.89M by Burna Boy’s ‘Love, Damini’.
2. The first track ‘OVER DEM’ broke the all-time record for most single-day streams for any song in Spotify Nigeria’s history, over 2x the previous record (460K).
3. Eight tracks from the album occupy the first eight spots on the all-time list for the biggest weekly tally by any single on Spotify Nigeria, with ‘OVER DEM’ ranking at No. 1 with 1.26 million streams.
4. It broke the record for the biggest first-day streams on Boomplay, with its 7.25M opening-day streams surpassing the previously set record by Burna Boy’s ‘Love, Damini’ (3.38M).
5. ‘Timeless’ topped the Apple Music Album chart in 26 countries.
6. It peaked at No. 2 on the US Apple Album Chart, setting a historic record for an African album.
7. Davido’s ‘Timeless’ has set a new record for the first-day most streamed ever of an African album on Apple Music.
8. It had over 12 million streams in its first 24 hours, more than any other album in the history of Audiomack.
9. ‘Timeless’ officially made its debut on the Billboard 200 albums chart at number 37 after selling over 17,000 units in the US alone.
10. It is the first-ever African album to hit #1 on the US iTunes Albums chart, achieving this six days after its release.