Chioma Nnadi has been named the new head of editorial content at British Vogue, becoming not only the first African, but also the first black female, to hold this important post.
Nnadi said on Instagram that she is “honoured and excited to be coming home” in response to the new development.
She added; “I’m so thrilled to announce that I’m the new head of editorial content for @britishvogue. Huge thanks to Anna Wintour, @edward enninful and Roger Lynch for giving me this opportunity. Truly honoured and so excited to be coming home. Stay tuned.”
Here are five quick facts about this groundbreaking appointment:
1. Nigerian Queen Bee: Chioma Nnadi is a 44-year-old Nigerian-Swiss-German journalist. Despite being born in London, she is the first Nigerian to lead British Vogue.
2. A Trailblazer in Fashion Journalism: She has a distinguished career in fashion journalism. Her drive, talent, and passion for presenting stories through fashion have propelled her to the top of the industry.
3. Succeeding Edward Enninful: Nnadi’s appointment follows the retirement of Edward Enninful as editor-in-chief of British Vogue. Enninful, who held the position for six years, was the magazine’s first male and black editor.
4. New Title: While she will not be the traditional “editor-in-chief,” Nnadi will be the head of editorial content at British Vogue. Her position will have a huge impact on the direction and content of one of the world’s most influential fashion magazines.
5. Historic Milestone: Chioma Nnadi’s appointment to this position signifies a watershed moment in the fashion business. Her appointment as the first black female editor-in-chief of British Vogue represents a significant shift toward diversity and inclusion in the fashion industry’s highest echelons.
This appointment is a testament not only to Nnadi’s exceptional career, but also a step forward in the continuous efforts to make the fashion world more representative and inclusive.
Her story has the potential to inspire future generations of fashion journalists and professionals from a variety of backgrounds.