Senator Bukola Saraki, this morning emerged Nigeria’s new senate president in an election where he was unopposed.
Here are 10 things you should know about Nigeria’s new senate President:
- He was born in 19 December 1962.
- He’s from Kwara state.
- Saraki is the son of former senator and acclaimed Kwara Godfather, Late Olusola Saraki.
- He started his political career as Special Assistant to President Olusegun Obasanjo on Budget in 2000
- Saraki served as Kwara Governor from 29 May 2003 – 29 May 2011.
- He was a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP until December 2013 when he defected to the All Progressives Congress, APC.
- The Nigerian Governors Forum, NGF was one of his achievements as governor.
- Saraki is a proponent for Open NASS; a new drive aimed at making national assembly budget/expenditure public.
- His election as Senate President automatically makes him number 3 citizen of Nigeria.
- Saraki’s victory may be the breaking point for APC as he was not his party’s endorsed candidate.